The Q&A Archives: hydrangea macrophylla

Question: I don't know if the are annual or perennial but they've been in the ground about 1 1/2 weeks and they are dying. They're in full shade which I told the guy at the store that's where they would go. When I look online for care it says morning sun evening shade, that's not my case I have full shade all day. Any suggestions on the Hydrangea or can you suggest a full shade flower or plant with flowers not a bush. My green thumb is failing me.

Answer: Hydrangeas are woody perennials plants and they will grow in bright shade but they prefer morning sun and afternoon shade. I don't think your hydrangea is dying, just suffering from some transplant shock. Give it another couple of weeks to adjust to its new growing spot and it should be okay. Be sure to water deeply once or twice a week and it should perk up soon.

Enjoy your new hydrangea!