The Q&A Archives: Just Starting

Question: My name is Teaira. I am 18 years old and just moved into my first appartment. The appartment was dull, so I am trieng to make it look better. One of the things I did was plant a garden in the backyard. Its not a very big back yard and the plants are mostly in the shade. What plants grow in the shade?

Answer: Teaira,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Congratulations on your new apartment! Some good flowers for shade include:

Shrubs - Azalea, Pieris, Dwarf Nandina, Chinese fringe (loropetalum), Camelia, and Hydrangea

Ground covers - Carpet bugleweed (Ajuga), Liriope, Aztec Grass, various ferns.

Perennial Flowers - Butterfly ginger (Hedychium), Mexican Petunia (Ruellia), Creeping Phlox (Phlox stolonifera), and Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata).

Annual Flowers - Coleus, Impatiens, Wishbone Flower (Tithonia), Flowering Tobacco (Nicotiana), Columbine, and Begonia.

Vegetable for shade would be leafy greens. Fruiting and rooting vegetables prefer full sun.