The Q&A Archives: hanging baskets

Question: I recently bought a couple of hanging plants but I ran into a problem. Every time I water them it drains right out the bottom. My fear is that the plants will not get enough water and will end dying any ideas how to keep the water from seeping out.

Answer: Alice,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

If the soil has pulled away from the sides of the pot this can cause excessive runoff. Also some planting mixes are just too loose. You can repot the plant in a mix that holds moisture better if it comes down to this. Otherwise I'd leave it be and try to keep the soil evenly moist which should help reduce the problems a lot.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"