The Q&A Archives: Privacy on concrete wall

Question: I would like to build some privacy from our neighbors along a 6' tall wall. We currently have 4 bougainvillea bushes growing with about 10' space in between. I'd like to get some heighth but the planter along this wall is only about 1' width. What kind of tree or shrub can I plant that complements the bougainvilleas but also provides some height? One more requirement, it has to be clean because it is about 4 feet from the pool!

Answer: There are only two plants I can think of that will grow well in the area you describe. My first choice is Thuja (arborvitae), which is a tall, narrow evergreen that remains only 2-3' wide at maturity; the second suggestion is Skyrocket Juniper. It doesn't grow quite as fast as Thuja.

Best wishes with your landscape!