The Q&A Archives: Concerning bamboo

Question: I bought a small bamboo plant at Home Depot that I want to grow out to be big enough fill a corner. What kind of pot should I buy, one with or without a hole for drainage. Also what shoul I put in the pot?

Answer: Chris,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Put bamboo in the largest pot you can find/afford. The pot should have a drainage hole, more than one is better. Put a mix of soil and potting soil in the pot. This will create a good mix for growing bamboo and still be fairly loose and heavy enough to help keep the pot from blowing over.