The Q&A Archives: Oleander

Question: I am looking for several Oleanders that grow tall so that I can plant them along my fence line. How far away do they need to be from the fence? Also, does Home Depot have any Oleanders for sale right now? When is the best time to plant them.

Thanks, Patty

Answer: Patty,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Oleanders that are a larger variety should be planted about 5-7 feet from a fence. We at the Q&A service are not aware of which plants are at various nurseries across the country now so I suggest you ask you local Home Depot garden center manager about availability. Container grown plants can be planted any time of the year. Just take care to keep the soil moist but not soggy wet as they try to get their roots established over the next few months.