The Q&A Archives: About Japanese Red Maple

Question: I just planted a Japanese red maple tree that is about 4 or 5 feet tall. The limbs are thin and very droopy. Do I need to stalk this tree to get it to stand upright or will this change as the limbs gets stronger and older? If I am to stalk it, how do I best do that? What can of ties do I use?

Answer: Linda,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You generally don't need to stake a tree that was planted properly. However the limbs are not going to move upward as it grows so if you want a different branch orientation you will need to pull them up for a few months. I would place a tall metal steel post in the ground next to the limb and then tie them up to the post using either wires with a garden hose around them to prevent cutting into the tree limb or using a soft cotton or nylon rope loosely tied around the branch so as not to strangle the branch.