The Q&A Archives: rose of sharon

Question: Last yr I planted 10 rose of sharon, they all got green, this yr 1 out of 10 has leaves.

Answer: Without knowing more about your growing conditions, it's difficult to pinpoint, but Rose of Sharon requires full sun, and regular water during the growing season. It is normal for leaves to drop after the first frost of the season. New foliage will appear in late spring. Is it possible that your weather has been cold, and the new growth is just starting to appear, with the others lagging? Rose of Sharon is somewhat slow to leaf out in comparison to other deciduous shrubs. Also, did you protect the plants over winter? If your temps. drop below minus 10 degrees, the new root systems would need protection with a thick layer of mulch. I hope this info helps.