The Q&A Archives: Pruning Honeylocust

Question: I have a 3 year old, 5 foot tall thorned honey locust tree that I would like to prune the lower two branches off of. They are still quite small. When is the best time of year to do this and are there any precautions or specific followup?<br>

Answer: Your Honeylocust (Gleditsia) has the potential to grow 35-70 feet tall, so I hope it has enough room! You can prune the lower branches off now, or wait until late in the fall. Pruning encourages new growth so you may need to rub any new buds off that develop where you cut off the branches. If you prune in the summer when the juices are flowing, you'll really have a lot of new growth to deal with, so try to do your pruning very early or very late in the season.