The Q&A Archives: soil amendments for Hydrangea

Question: I have purchased a Hydrangea with blue flowers. I understand that the color of the flowers depends upon the type of soil. Is there something I can add to my soil to make it more acidic so that my hydrangea will continue to produce blue flowers?

Answer: Debra,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You can't practically reduce the pH of your soil in that area. It is just too high with too much calcium in it. If you want blue flowers you probably need to plant it in a large container with potting soil or to create a raised bed of improved compost and sand mix with perhaps even some peat moss mixed in. The fertilize with Miracid or another product for acid loving plants such as azaleas or camellias.