The Q&A Archives: Boxwoods

Question: That frost we had a while back turned one side of all my boxwoods brown. There is some new growth on the other side, but I don't know what to do about all the brown. Can I clip it all off and when is a good time to do that. Any suggestions?

Answer: It is still possible that your boxwoods will recover so I wouldn't do any pruning just yet. The natural course of things is that the frostbitten leaves will drop as the boxwoods replace them with healthy new leaves. While the stems may look dead, they may still be alive, so don't prune anything off yet. If, by mid-summer, you still don't see any new growth, prune off the winter damage. There will still be time during the growing season for the boxwoods to develop new stems and leaves.

Best wishes with your boxwoods!