The Q&A Archives: Do you supplement potting soil with another fertilizer?

Question: I know the potting soil bags say they will feed flowers for three months. I was going to supplement once every week or two with a water soluble fertilizer in addition. Is this too much? My flowers are in containers.

Answer: In theory, the fertilizer in the potting soil should be sufficient for the first three months. However, if your plants look like they need more then go ahead and use a water soluble as well. When you water frequently or if there is a lot of rain the fertilizer in the mix can be leached out faster than three months, and certain plants do need a richer soil as well. Let your plants be your guide. (You do not want to overfertilze as this can cause weak, overly lush growth that can encourage insect pests.)