The Q&A Archives: azaleas

Question: I planted encore azaleas this spring. the leaves on several of the plants became curled. The plants otherwise appear healthy and they get watered regularly. What is causing this?

Answer: Joann,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Curling leaves is a sign of stress. The roots may have been damaged in planting or burned from fertilizer applied in the planting hole. It could also just be the shock of transplanting combined with warm weather. Dig down a few inches and feel the soil around the root ball. Keep it moist but not soggy as both dry and soggy wet are very stressful to the plants. With good care and proper soil moisture they should recover and resume normal growth.