The Q&A Archives: Care of Tricolor Mahoe

Question: I have two Tricolor Mahoe trees. I can find no info about their care. One is thriving the other is in bad shape.

Answer: I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Variegated Mahoe or Sea Hibiscus (Talipariti tiliaceum 'Tricolor') is a tropical plant that does well in the heat of a southern summer. It will freeze to the ground but with much and a not too severe winter may return again in spring. The plant loves full sun and moderate soil moisture but good drainage. Fertilize periodically with a turf type fertilizer if needed to encourage new growth and vigor but stop fertilizing by about mid August.