The Q&A Archives: wet soil

Question: I have a corner of my yard that remains extremely wet, but is also in direct sun all day. After rains there is sometimes standing water. I have raised the bed slightly, but when I dug up a plant that had died, it was still dripping water (no rains in more than a week).

What can I plant in this area?

Answer: You may need to experiment a bit to find which perennials do the best for you, before going whole hog and making extensive plantings of any one thing. However some which tolerate fairly damp situations would include Japanese Iris, Yellow Flag Iris, Hibiscus moscheutos (rose mallow), Joe Pye Weed, lobelia, monarda, lady's mantle and some of the ornamental grasses. Occasionally you will also find that Black-Eyed Susan, Siberian Iris, daylilies (hemerocallis), astilbe, and forget-me-nots will also thrive in a damp spot. Good luck with your plantings!