The Q&A Archives: Butterfly Bush

Question: I have purchased several Butterfly Bushes at Home Depot and there wasn't information indicating how large they would be at maturity, and if they are annuals or perennials. Please advise, I need to get them in the ground, they are still in the pots.

Thank you

Answer: Jo Nell,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Butterfly bushes (Buddleja davidii) vary in size depending on variety and growing conditions. As a rule of thumb they'll grow to about 4-6 feet tall. They are perennials and can be cut way back in winter to keep them more manageable. You can also shear them lightly between bloom flushes in summer to maintain a denser growth habit and to encourage new growth and repeat blooming. Give them a light fertilization (1/2 cup of lawn fertilizer spread evenly in a area extending 3 feet out in all directions from each shrub) and then water it in well after each shearing.