The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Sam Cherry Tree

Question: I just bought a dwarf sam cherry tree from home depot and they couldn't tell me if it was a black cherry or not or if I needed more than one. I have an apple tree and my neighbor has a red cherry tree. Can you answer my questions?

Answer: Prunus "Sam" (Sam Cherry) Dwarf grows to a mature size of 8-10'. It produces large, firm, jet-black, heart-shaped fruit. You will need a second black cherry variety to pollinate your Sam; one that blooms at approximately the same time. Here are a few suggestions:

BlackGoldT(NY 13791)- late blooming, self-fertile and universally pollenizes every other sweet cherry with similar bloom time. Ripens with Hedelfingen (about 7 days after Sam), high yielding like its parents (Gold x Stella), firmness and flesh color similar to Sam.

Star - late bloom, self-incompatible pollen that will pollenize Sam and vice-versa, but will not pollenize Ulster, Kristin, Bing, or Somerset. About even with Sam in ripening season. A regular bearer with heavy crops of medium-small fruit.

Sylvia - mid-late bloom, self-incompatible pollen that will pollenize Sam and vice-versa. It blooms too late to pollenize Ulster, Kristin, Bing and Somerset effectively, although it is genetically compatible with each of them. Ripens with Hedelfingen and BlackGold™, about 7 days after Sam.

Best wishes with your new cherry trees!