The Q&A Archives: Location of Weeping Cherry

Question: Hello. I was wondering if it was safe to plant a Double Weeping Cherry approx. 6 ft from my house? I believe it will grow to 10-12ft wide. Thanks.

Answer: Six feet will be too close as the tree grows and matures. The reasons are that this tree does best in full sun all day long, and the house will shade it if is is planted up close to it. This will cause it to bloom less and can cause it to grow unevenly. It also does best with good air circulation and the house will block that as it grows closer to it. Also, the roots will grow wider than the branches and it is better to allow them as much space as possible to grow unimpeded. If you have only limited space, it might be better to plant a medium sized shrub rather than a small tree. If you are hoping to see the tree out a window, you could plant it further out as a lawn specimen so you can enjoy a view of the overall weeping profile through the window while giving it ample room to grow.