The Q&A Archives: How to extend Cilantro growing season

Question: I have an herb garden and have planted Cilantro, which I love to use in many recipes. In a relatively short time after planting, +- 8 weeks, long shoots with flowers developed. Is there any way to extend the time the plant will produce useful leaves for cooking? What happens if you cut off the shoots when they begin to appear?

Answer: Cilantro plants grow and go to seed very quickly, so you'll want to plant them continuously throughout the growing season; every three weeks or so to maintain your crop. Once the roots consistently reach 75 degrees, the plant will start to seed.
If your cilantro plants begin to flower, trim off the flower heads to prolong leaf growth. This directs the plant's energy back into the leaves rather than the flowers and seeds. If you allow the seed heads to mature, they will resow themselves back into your garden and you'll have another crop in a few weeks.