The Q&A Archives: planting azaleas

Question: When is the best time to plant new azaleas and roses? What types of shrubs and trees can I plant in my yard where I will always have something in bloom practically year round?

Answer: Lisa,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

The best time to plant is in the fall, then winter is next followed by spring. You can plant container grown plants at any time if you keep their soil moderately moist, not dry or soggy. Roses are great for keeping blooms coming all season long. I like the Knock Out variety as it is a good disease resistant repeat bloomer. Crape myrtles are another good choice as most Salvias do well too.