The Q&A Archives: Monkey Grass

Question: I have Augustine grass growing and i would like to know what can i feed my grass? But at the same time i have a grass called Ophiopogon j. ?Nana? (Also known as japonica, Dwarf Mondo Grass, Dwarf Monkey Grass, Dwarf Lilyturf, Kioto) what can i use to get rid of it with out killing my Augustine grass?

Answer: Profirio,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Feed your lawn a product with a 3-1-2 or 4-1-2 ratio of nutrients such as 15-5-10. Divide the first number of the three into 100 to get the number of pounds to apply per 1000 square feet of lawn area. Water it in after application.

There is not a product to kill Mondo without harming turfgrass. Hand digging (sorry!) is the only good option.