The Q&A Archives: Peach Tree - dead branches & yellow leaves

Question: I've had a fairly mature peach tree (I planted in 1996) that seems diseased or sick. I'll list some of the symtoms and my actions over the last year to attempt to get this tree to thrive.
- most of it's branches have died (+ 80%) where the leaves turned yellow first resulting in the whole branch dying afterwards.
- dying branches had sap forming on the underside of the branches with some patterns of the bark broken or split open
- a few (1-2) holes on each dying branch that appeared to be insect made, I did notice a small number of ants on the tree but the number were very small
- could this be

Answer: Anthony,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your peach is suffering from borers and possible canker diseases. There are sprays to prevent (not cure) borer infestation, but not for canker diseases. Cankers attack weak trees. Sunburn on the tops of branches and damage from winter sun (southwest side of trunk and branches are likely adding to the problem. I suggest starting over with a new tree. Peaches typically have short productive lives (about 12 years or so) but can get into such bad condition that they may not be worth keeping that long. A new start is often the best way to get back into fruit production soon. These comments also apply to your apple tree although they are not generally so short lived in your climate.