The Q&A Archives: pacysandra

Question: I have large Oak trees that have leaves that cover the ground every year. they have killed my saint auginstine grass. I want a ground cover for the area. Since the leaves are acid would pacysandra hold up when the leaves fall. would the leaves act like a mulch for the ground cover. If not what would hold up under the trees in the houston area. and how close will i have to plant the ground cover plants.

Donna Way

Answer: Donna,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Pachysandra is an option but would probably not like your climate and soils there. A better choice is holly fern if you can keep the area a little moist. Another option is Asian jasmine. You may also want to remove some of the limbs to brighten the shade an make the area more suitable for other plants.