The Q&A Archives: Sugg for year round outdoor container plant

Question: I have a large plastic pot downstairs underneath the stairs, so it's a partial sun/shade spot, and the azaleas died, and I've gotten different suggestions and am tired of planting. The soil might be a bit acidic from the azalea fertilizer, we'd like to put something in, have it look reasonably pleasant, and be low maintenance year round. We may also be dealing with some neighborhood cats who are using the planter as their own personal bathroom. Could you suggest some hardy plants that will work for this setting? If you need any other info, please email, I'd be relieved to find something that will work.Thanks, Barbara Stanley

Answer: Barbara,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Good question and tough situation for a plant! I think I'd try one of the following options, either an evergreen plant or a perennial that would not be doing anything for the winter season. Consider dwarf yaupon, Salvia 'Mystic Spires', or Nierembergia 'Starry Eyes'.