The Q&A Archives: Planting Sunflower Seeds

Question: I finally got my hands on sunflower seed packets: mammoth and velvet queen. I'm so excited, but the directions on the packets aren't as specific as I need. How many seeds need to be planted per hole? How about the spacing? I'd like to seem them in abundance all along my fence and garage. Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer: The Mammoths will probably grow over 8 feet tall and can form wide heads so you might plant them two feet apart or so. (Each Mammoth plant will have one flower at the top of the tall stem.) The Velvet Queens will make branched plants with numerous smaller flowers. Plant these about 18 inches apart. Seeds usually germinate well so put one or two seeds per spot, then remove the weaker seedlings after they come up. Enjoy those sunflowers!