The Q&A Archives: Daffodils that didn't bloom

Question: Hi - I had several clumps of daffodils that didn't bloom - green leaves came up but no flowers. Should I just dig them all up or is there a chance I may get some next spring if I leave them in?

Answer: The two most common causes for non-blooming are that the bulbs are overcrowded, or the foliage was removed last year before it had a chance to transport energy to the bulbs for this year's flower display. If your daffodils have been in the same spot for 4-5 years, they may need digging and replanting to provide more space. If this is the case, wait until the foliage dies down on its own, then dig the bulbs, amend the soil with organic matter, and replant. Give each bulb at least 6-inches all around for growth, and toss a small handful of bonemeal into the planting hole before replanting the bulbs.

If, on the other hand, the foliage was cut down last year while it was still green, that could account for non-blooming this year. You won't need to dig and divide the bulbs, simply leave the foliage alone until it withers and dies. This will allow the bulbs to collect enough energy to form next spring's flower.