The Q&A Archives: Looking For Old Fashioned Trumpet Vine

Question: I am hoping you can help me. I am looking for an Old-Fashioned Trumpet Vine like my grandmother had. It had larger, darker green leaves and larger trumpets than any I've seen anywhere. The trumpets were large enough that the Hummingbirds could puttheir whole head inside the flower. Also, the flowers weren't in clusters but individual and covered the vine. It was a vigorous grower and Grandpa would complain that it was going to take over everything. Thanx for any help you can give me!!<br>

Answer: The traditional "Trumpet Vine" has flowers that are clustered. This vine (Campsis radicans) is available from Burpee. They offer a yellow and a red variety. You can obtain this from the 1998 catalog. If you don't have a catalog you can request one by calling 1-800-888-1447 or, revisit the website. There are a few other vines you could be thinking of. There is one called "Cardinal Climber" (Ipomoea multifida) that has 2" long trumpet shaped blooms that appear singly. A vine called 'Asarina' has 1.5" bells that appear singly. Cobaea 'Mountain Glory' has 3"x2" trumpet/bell shaped single flowers. All of these are available in the 1998 Burpee catalog.