The Q&A Archives: Fast Growing Trees that dont have huge root systems

Question: Could you please tell me what trees would be fast growing for my area? I have a small lot (.26 acre) that backs up to a pond and not a tree in sight.

Answer: Melinda,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Don't go for the fastest growing trees. Choose a medium growth rate tree and then water and fertilize it to make it fast. Fast growing species tend to be short lived and not the best choice. Some good choices include Chinese elm ('Drake' is one variety), 'Shumard' oak, and 'Natchez' crape myrtle. The following web site offers some tree suggestions: