The Q&A Archives: Garden Flowers

Question: Are there perennials in a bright to deep red that would be approx the same height as Salvia Maestro (width doesn't matter) that would do well in well-drained but fairly poor soil in our area?

I had to spread what funds were available in setting up a new bed where only grass was grown for more than 75 yrs. We have lots of earthworms, a good sign. The salvia have done poorly here, while everything else in our mostly-perennial garden is flourishing. I'd like to replace the Maestro next year with a dependable perennial.

If it helps, the rest of the garden is made up of red rhododendron and emerald green arborvitae as foundation/anchor plants, Sedum Jaws, Salvia May Night, Lupinus Minarette Mix, Coreopsis Sunray, Shasta Daisy Becky, Primula in deep royal purple with yellow centers, Iberis Snowflake, and white Alyssum. I really need to bring the lush red back into the center, the heart of the garden bed.

Thank you!

Answer: You might find a smaller daylily that would fit that scheme, "Pardon Me" comes to mind. Although not strictly a perennial, you might also find a smaller variety of red dahlia that would do the job for you.