The Q&A Archives: Soil building and pH adjustment

Question: The soil in my yard is clay with some sand on the surface. The pH ranges from 4.6 to 5.5 with large pine trees giving much shade. Can you suggest soil building methods, pH adjustment, fertilizer recommendations with the low pH, grass recommendations,

Answer: Dennis,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Check with your Parish Extension Office for free advice on amount of lime to add to the soil to raise the pH of your soil to about 6-7pH. Mix in the lime a couple of weeks prior to planting. Then count on making additions in the years down the line to maintain a moderate pH level.

For fertilizer apply a product with a 3-1-2- or 4-1-2 ratio of nutrients. Divide the first number of the three into 100 to get the number of pounds to apply per 1000 square feet.