The Q&A Archives: Bushes

Question: I have some bushes growing in between my fence and my neighbor's fence. Can I put something down to kill the bushes without destroying my lawn? If so what do you remand me to use? I have the standard metal fence and they have the wood privacy fence just to give you an ideal of what I'm talking about.

Answer: Probably the safest route is to get between the fences and dig the unwanted vegetation out, roots and all. I'm afraid any herbicide you use to kill the bushes will also affect your lawn. If you're careful (because of the wooden fence), you may be able to rent a flamer and burn the vegetation out. Wish I had an easier solution! Once you've gotten the vegetation out, lay some weed barrier down and cover it with gravel or bark to keep things from growing there again.