The Q&A Archives: Privacy Hedge Bushes

Question: It,s not a very original question, but here goes. I live in upper SC and would like to ask what would be the CHEAPEST - fast growing up & out hedge bush for privacy.My mother is the flower person but she is now 70yrs. old and says she cant help me..Can you? Thanks Benny, of Spartanburg.

Answer: For a quick growing privacy hedge, there are several different plants that you can go with. Any variety of Viburnum or Forsynthia would create a nice large hedge that would be dense. Pyracantha is also a possibility, but this plant has thorns and I would not recommend it around houses with children. Weigela is also a good choice and would work well in your area. A final suggestion is Thuja (Arborvitae). The least expensive way to go is to purchase your plants in one-gallon containers. Since they are all relatively fast growing, they should make up for their small stature in a few short years.

Best wishes with your new privacy screen!