The Q&A Archives: Something is eating my plants

Question: Something is eating my plants. Not beetles. There are bunches of little flying bugs. Like gnats You can hardly see then but, thay are chewing holes in the leaves of all my plants. What can I do? Please help.

Answer: It's hard to tell from your description, but I wonder if the pests are thrips. Thrips: Thrips are brown or tan, about one-eighth of an inch long. They're very narrow, appearing the shape of a tiny alligator. They're hard to see with the naked eye, but their damage is very clear. Thrips chew the top surface of leaves, leaving a striped, tan dead layer of leaf behind. The damage can appear as ?white spots' on leaves, or a lacy or skeletal appearance on the leaves.

Control: Insecticidal Soap will kill thrips very effectively. Repeat about every three days to kill young thrips hatching from existing eggs on the plants.