The Q&A Archives: some kind of beetle

Question: Hello, every year only in May these beetles?? come up out my lawn at about 7;00pm this goes on for 4-7 days,and in about a hour or two they go back into there holes in my grass,they are not in no other lawn but mine! what are they & how do i get them out of my lawn? they dont hurt my lawn,but I dont like them

Answer: What you describe sound like June Beetles to me. The adults fly at dusk, feeding on plants, mating and also depositing their eggs. They have a short lifespan but the eggs they lay turn into larvae which feed on grass roots. These are called grubs and when your lawn has a large population of grubs, you'll begin to see damage in the form of dead spots. Grub control products are readily available in the garden section of your local Home Depot. Be sure to apply according to label directions; timing is important and timing is different in different parts of the country.

Best wishes with your lawn!