The Q&A Archives: How can I get rid of bermudagrass in my lawn?

Question: I have kentucky blue grass intermittent with bermudagrass throughout and I hate it. It is not soft on the kids feet and it is choking out my good lawn. I have found a bermudagrass chemical that is extremely expensive and was informed that it could take many applications for years before I can get rid of it. Any advice or suggestions?

Answer: Bermudagrass is an aggressive warm-season turfgrass that spreads by stolons, rhizomes, and seeds. Once bermudagrass is established in Kentucky bluegrass, it is difficult to control, and changes turf color and quality. Extension recommendations for control of bermudagrass in any cool-season grass include applications of a non-selective herbicide followed by reseeding. (Round-Up is a non-selective herbicide). Wish I had an easier and less expensive solution, but Bermudagrass is extremely difficult to control in bluegrass lawns.