The Q&A Archives: Mice, Moles & Squirel Cages for Bulbs

Question: Hi there! On one of the garden shows on t.v. the gardner had little wire cages they placed the bulbs in as they planted. According to him they prevented the little critters from eating the bulbs. Does any one know where I can purchase these from? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks and have a great weekend! Cher

Answer: Unfortunately, in a quick search I was not able to locate a source for metal bulb baskets such as you described. Most gardeners make their own out of chicken wire or hardware cloth. You can make a basket for each clump of bulbs or line a planting bed with the mesh. Moles will not damage bulbs, but voles will eat them. Voles tunnel underground to the bulb so a wire mesh cage is preferred over plastic -- they can chew through that. If the problem is squirrels, covering the area with wire mesh or an old metal window screen will prevent them from digging up the bulbs.