The Q&A Archives: Roses

Question: What is the best treatment for black spots on the leaves of my rose bushes? Also I have an area that gets very little sun,and stays very wet from the run off in the backyard any ideas what i can plant there?

Answer: Black spot fungus of rose is everywhere. If you have roses, you will have some black spot. There are varieties that are resistant and seldom get black spot. When they do it is usually not a significant problem and seldom if ever requires a spray. Cultural conditions can make black spot a rampant problem or a minor nuisance. Overcrowding, poor air circulation, and frequent wetting of the foliage all predispose plants to black spot infection. Most varieties however, must be sprayed on a regular basis to prevent black spot infections from becoming severe. In severe cases it can even cause defoliation of the plant. There are many fungicide products labeled for black spot on roses. Check with your local Home Depot garden center for available options.

While very few plants will tolerate 'wet feet' (soggy soil) some varieties adapt better than others to wet soil. Below is a general list of plants that will tolerate wet conditions.

Ajuga Bugleweed
Amelanchier Serviceberry
Astilbe Astilbe
Cornus stolonifera Dogwood shrub
Forsythia Forsythia
Hemerocallis Daylilies
Hosta Hosta
Itea Itea
Miscanthus Maiden Grass

Best wishes with your roses!