The Q&A Archives: replanting weigilia

Question: I have two large weigilia bushes in front of my house that I would like to move. Can I cut them back first (after they finish blooming) and how far? I thought this would make it more manageable for me to move them, but I don't want to kill the plant by cutting it back too far and then moving it. Any suggestions would be great!

Answer: The best time to try to move large established shrubs would be in the fall or in very early spring before they start to grow for the year. If these are really big, it will be difficult to dig them with enough of the root system to make the move successful and the root balls will be extremely heavy. Trimming them back to compensate for root loss would help. If you try it this late in the season, trim them back and make sure to keep them watered until fall. The soil should be damp like a wrung out sponge, not sopping wet and not dried out. Good luck with your project!