The Q&A Archives: Planting Grass Seed

Question: What are the best times for planting grass in my region (Maryland)? My lawn is mostly crab grass. It has been cleared, but since it's almost summer, I wonder if I should wait until the Fall or next Spring to try planting seed. Is it ever too late or too hot to start ? What kind of grass is best (low maintenance)? Size of yard is 3/4 acre, very shaded (old trees in back), very sunny with few trees in front. Thanks!

Answer: The best time of year to seed a lawn is late summer to early September. Lawn grass needs full sun all day or for at least a half a day to stay healthy, so if you have a shady area you may want to consider using a ground cover instead. Your state extension service offers detailed information on establishing lawns at their web site, such as Lawn Renovation, Establishment and Seeding:

Their web site also offers information on the soil testing you should do before you plant:

Good luck with your lawn!