Question: What type of plants can I grow under a Maple tree? The ground has patches of grass and in other areas no grass. I am thinking of covering it with something that will come back each year and spread.

Answer: Unfortunately it can be difficult to grow plants under maple trees due to their surface roots stealing nutrients and moisture from the soil and their branches blocking sun and rain from reaching the ground. Grass generally does poorly because grass needs sun for a minimum of half a day and also needs ample nutrients and moisture to do well. You might try a groundcover such as Vinca minor, possibly along with some mulched areas. Sometimes it is possible to create a shady seating area under one of these trees rather than trying to plant the entire space. I hope this gives you some ideas.