The Q&A Archives: What is a Tiger Lily?

Question: I have a steep bank that I wanted to fill up with tiger lilies. It's in a place where they can take over the entire area and that is my intention. I bought some bulbs that the catalog company said were just like the old fashioned lilies by the roads, but in different colors. I wanted these to have the bush-like, arching leaves, not the tall, one-stalk kind. Since planting them, I've seen all different kinds of lilies purporting to be tiger liles and I'm confused. Is what I want the l. Lanceanum or the l. Tigrum, or another altogether?

Answer: I believe you are looking for Tigrinum splendens. They come in the traditional orange, as well as pink, white, yellow, and red. You can obtain these from Van Bourgondien Bulbs at 1-800-622-9997.