The Q&A Archives: andromeda polifolia...bog rosemary

Question: I just bought about 12 of these from home depot in Dacula, GA. I have since read that they are really not suited to heat & humidity. Plus they like acid soil and here we have a lot of alkaline clay.

Was this researched before being introduced? Is this hopefully a cultivar that has a chance of survival in hot, humid Georgia? Any idea who the grower might be? Thanks!

Answer: Patty,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I don't think that plant is going to adapt to your hot, humid climate. I suggest you discuss a return and trade for another plant with your local Home Depot garden center. We at the Q&A service do not have information on the various plants carried in stores across the country or who the growers are. We primarily deal with plant selection and care related questions.