The Q&A Archives: dogwood tree

Question: in april i planted a young dogwood tree. it now has some brown on the outer part of the leaves.could u tell me what might be wrong& what i can do to help it survive thank you

Answer: Jean,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

The leaf symptoms you mentioned point to a water related issue. Drought, root burn from excessive fertilizer applications and possibly even soggy soil that has killed some roots and now the symptoms are thus similar to drought due to a lack of roots.

Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. Hopefully the damage is very minor and the tree will recover soon and resume putting on normal leaves.