The Q&A Archives: planting a gardenia bush

Question: I received a gardenia plant/bush as a gift in the winter. I am interested in planting it outside. What is the best area to plant this, and will it survive a cold winter in Ohio?

Answer: Gardenia's are sub-tropical plants that will die back when temperatures dip to freezing. A more important concern is the temperature requirements for flower bud development. If these requirements are not met, your gardenia won't flower, even if it does survive the winter outdoors. Gardenias need a night temperature of 60F - 65F degrees, with a daytime temperature about 10 degrees higher, in order to form flower buds. It might be easiest to keep your gardenia in a pot, setting it outdoors in the spring and summer and taking it indoors for the autumn and winter months.