The Q&A Archives: frost

Question: What will my plants look like if thay got caught in a frost? I had started planting Mother's Day weekend and through the week. I was told we had a light frost one day that week and some of my plants look a tad weak and yellow. -jack frost?

Answer: Some plants are more frost tender than others and can be killed back by a late frost. Usually you'll see the damage overnight; things will look withered and dry. Frost can also retard growth so plants may not leaf out or flower right on schedule. The more likely cause of puny-looking plants is a little transplant shock. It's common and plants recover in a few weeks. The best thing you can do is keep your new plants watered regularly. Wait a few more weeks and then pinch or prune off anything that is damaged.