The Q&A Archives: small garden tree

Question: I removed a crepe myrtle from our small garden in front of the house because it was ugly and bare cut back in the winter, and overbearing in the summer. What do you suggest for a small front garden that would be a pretty, hassle free centerpiece tree for Florida? I love palms. Any suggestions?

Answer: Tracy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

There are several palms that would be fine if that suits your aesthetic tastes. There are several great options for a small tree. The following website offers many ideas:

You might also want to choose a large shrub and trim it into tree form. This next web site lists shrubs for central Florida: