The Q&A Archives: Natural remedies for snails & slugs

Question: My stella-d'oro day lilies are suffering. We have had a very wet spring and it brought out the snails and slugs. We are trying to have a natural, pesticide free yard. What do you recommend to get rid of these snails? I hand-picked and killed over 70 one day. thank you

Answer: Phyllis,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

There are some products that are more natural in origin that will work as baits on slugs and snails. One is the product Sluggo made from iron phosphate and put into a bait form. The other is also a bait and is made by Greenlight. It contains orthoboric acid and goes by the name Greenlight Snail and Bug Bait.