The Q&A Archives: What chemical do I need to apply?

Question: I have black moldy patches in my centipede lawn. What is this and how do I get rid of it? I have had dogs the past 10 years and this has never shown up so I don't think it is from them. The weather has been hot and dry. Thank You!

Answer: Circular patches seen in the yard during periods of warm, wet weather may be a disease called brown patch. This disease is very common on centipede lawns during the spring and fall of the year. If the weather is rainy and temperatures warm, circular patches ranging in size from 6 inches to several feet may develop. Avoiding over-fertilization and over-watering and reducing excess thatch are good management practices to reduce brown patch. Fungicide treatments may be needed if the disease becomes severe. (Spectracide Immunex, Terraclor or Bayleton)