The Q&A Archives: Flowering Mustered Greens

Question: I planted some mustard greens (plants) They started flowering at the top. What should I do about this

Answer: Unfortunately, your plants are flowering and will soon go to seed so they are probably beyond harvesting as greens at this point. (You can try but they have probably turned bitter.) Mustard greens are a cool season crop and can be planted a couple of weeks before the last frost. They grow very fast and mature in about 6 weeks from seed. While they grow you can cut them down to harvest more than once to try to extend the growing and harvesting period. But once the weather turns hot, they will flower and at that point are pulled out and put in the compost pile. Since this is a cool season grower, you can plant again in late summer for a fall crop. I'm sorry!