The Q&A Archives: Leaf loss on Purple sandcherry flowering shrub

Question: Last summer my purple sandcherry shrub had leaf discoloration and leaf loss, brown spots, and eaten leaves. What might it have been? LeafCutters? What might I do to get rid of them?

Answer: Unfortunately, these symptoms are very general, so I can't make a recommendation. There are numerous diseases and pests that attack ornamental cherries, and it sounds like more than one agent was at work. I suggest that you spend some time with the shrub - just walk by and look it over as you stroll around your yard - to see if insects are present, and if they're eating the leaves (or each other!). You'll also be aware of any leaf spotting (usually the result of a fungal or bacterial disease). That's the time to have a professional (nursery or agricultural extension agent) identify the problem, and then you can strike while a control method will be most effective - before the pest(s) get ahead of you. Your extension agent can be reached at 513/498-1293.<br><br>In the meantime, treat your shrub to some TLC, since it probably lost ground due to the leaf loss. Mulch with an inch or so of compost, and dose it with a foliar feeding of seaweed-based fertilizer in June, when the cherry is growing quickly. Hope this helps!